Do you want to start your promotion on the internet but you don't know where to start? Online Marketing is an important area that your brand has to develop if it wants to adapt to the new times, however, the excessive use of the internet has made this seem simple when in fact it is not. Therefore, in this post I want to tell you how to create step by step a digital strategy that ensures the success of your company on the internet.
This post is long for all the steps involved in a digital strategy. I recommend that you make yourself comfortable, take a pen and paper because you are about to discover the true potential that the internet has for your brand.
What is a digital strategy?
A digital strategy consists of designing an action plan focused on meeting your objectives on the internet.
It sounds poetic, but the truth is that if you want to get off to a good start in Online Marketing, creating a digital strategy will determine the success of your internet presence or not .
This strategic planning of your online visibility will not only help you define the most convenient social networks for your brand, but will also serve as a guide to define what actions you are going to take to achieve your marketing objectives.
If you don't see the usefulness of creating a digital strategy, please continue reading.
What is the use of having a digital marketing strategy?
Very simple. Because otherwise you will go to the internet blindly.
The first thing you are going to do is create your Facebook page and advertise as if there were no tomorrow when the internet has much more crumb than creating a profile on a social network.
As Uncle Ben would say: with great power comes great responsibility.
Responsibility that many entrepreneurs overlook.
Therefore, it is not surprising that when it comes to having an online presence, they only think of using the different internet tools to directly advertise their brand when, in fact, they should think first of their ideal client.
In this way, creating a digital strategy will help you:
- Define your Marketing objectives correctly . You will not go blind or improvise on the go.
- Know what actions you have to do to reach these objectives.
- Know your online competition and know what they are doing on the internet.
- Define your strategy towards your ideal client and know how to influence him.
- Improve your online visibility by creating useful content for your ideal client.
- Boost your online reputation using social networks and other internet tools.
As you can see, the benefits of creating a digital strategy are not few so that you do not have one for your brand.
Imagine how valuable it would be to be aware of all that information ...
Steps to make a digital marketing strategy for companies
If you are one of those who like to do things well and not go crazy, below I will detail step by step what you have to do to create a successful digital strategy.
1. Do an analysis of your brand
I know that this Online Marketing can be something very interesting since most of the people spend a large part of our time on the Internet, but before thinking of having a website, create profiles on all social networks and everything else; first we have to do an internal analysis.
You know, to sell yourself well you first have to know what it is that you are and what you want to sell . To do this, you will have to answer questions such as:
Once this is done, it is the ideal time to create an online SWOT analysis .
SWOT is a well known marketing technique that companies use to analyze their Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats.
Doing so will help you to better deepen your company and reach conclusions that could be escaping you in the first place.
An example of a SWOT of a company that wants to start in Online Marketing would be the following.
Weaknesses : They are those internal factors that you think will make it difficult for you to achieve your goals on the internet. For example:
- Lack of belief in the benefit of being on the internet.
- Lack of money to invest in online advertising.
Strengths : They are the factors that will allow you to achieve your goals and that your time on the internet is the best possible. For example:
- Continuous learning of the digital sector.
- Have a customer base that could be part of your online community.
- Have someone specialized to develop your digital strategy.
- Have a good product / service that generates good reviews on the internet.
Threats : They are all those external situations that will be a problem to gain visibility on the internet. For example:
- Updates of some tools that you are going to use for your online promotion.
- Competition that already has an online presence.
Opportunities : External factors that you can take advantage of to develop your digital strategy. For example:
- Use less used content marketing formats such as video.
- The competition is only advertising their products / services, but is not providing any valuable content.
- Create strategies for your consumers to leave you good opinions on the internet.
2. Make an analysis of your competition
Once you know your business situation, touch the most interesting ... spy on the competition. ?
First of all, you have to know how to differentiate between your traditional competition from the one on the internet.
We are talking about creating a digital strategy so you should focus on those that are precisely at this level: online.
You may discover that the store next door that is your competition in the "real world" does not have any digital strategy and, therefore, would not be part of your online competition.
Once you identify this competition, it is time to analyze what they are doing on the internet . To do this, you can answer the following questions:
Most of these questions are very easy to answer and answering them will help you know how hard you have to work to be above your competition , and also to define a better digital strategy for your brand.
3. Create added value
Differentiating element, added value ... call it what you want, but you have to give a reason strong enough for that ideal customer to buy from you and not from your competition.
In traditional Marketing you can define your differentiating element in different ways:
- Customer Support
- Personalized service
- By price
And in your digital strategy, you can differentiate yourself through:
- Publish a certain type of content on a social network
- Have a YouTube channel with video tutorials
- Publish one post per week on your blog
- Doing Podcast weekly
4. Define your ideal client or buyer persona
Creating the super strategy of the year will do you no good if you are not focused on your ideal client.
And it is that the ideal client or buyer person is that character that you must know perfectly to create a truly effective digital strategy that makes that person become a client.
To do this, it is not enough to know your gender, age or financial level. You have to do a deeper analysis that answers questions like:
- What are your pain points?
- What needs are not satisfied?
- How much time to spend being on the internet and on what platforms?
- What is a normal day like for him / her?
- What do you spend your free time on?
- Are you an entrepreneur or working for someone else?
- What are your main motivations?
- Through what device is it reported on the internet? Computer or mobile?
It may seem silly to ask yourself so many questions, but knowing your buyer persona perfectly is also a key factor for a successful digital strategy.
In fact, these are some of the questions that you should consider to define your ideal client. If you want to detail it in greater depth, you just have to go to this post.
5. Set goals
Just as it is useless to create an online marketing plan if you do not have your ideal client defined, it also makes no sense to start your online visibility campaign without having defined the objectives you want to achieve.
These objectives must be classified in the short, medium and long term . Among the main ones you have:
- Branding: one of the main objectives of any digital strategy and practically the only one in the short and medium term. Being on the internet will help you improve your brand image and that potential client think of you to satisfy their need before your competition.
- Online positioning: one of the long-term goals. If you create interesting content and adapted to Google guidelines, it is a matter of time before your website improves in search results . This means that when someone searches for a product or service that you offer, it is your website that appears in the top positions in search engines.
- Conversion: consists of getting income for your business. Online Marketing is a long-term bet, so it is not that you are going to get massive income in the first months of your digital strategy. On the other hand, if you want to get immediate benefits, you should pay close attention to online advertising.
- Loyalty - This should be the end goal of any brand. Don't just look for your ideal client to meet you and / or buy something from you. You have to retain that ideal customer to the point that they become an ambassador of your brand, buy from you again and recommend you.
Although all these objectives are important and your digital strategy should include actions to meet each of them, I recommend that you first focus on one or a maximum of two of these objectives and define them according to the business situation of your brand.
In this way, if you are a brand that is just taking its first steps on the internet, your first objective would be to branding your brand. On the other hand, if you already have an internet presence and have a website, perhaps you should pay more attention to converting and building customer loyalty.
6. Determine a budget
At this point, play do something that you do not usually like so much hehe.
It's time to drop money.
Yes my friend. If you thought that being successful on the internet was not going to cost you a dollar, let me tell you that you are wrong.
To start as God intended in Online Marketing, you will have to invest money mainly in two things:
- Buy a domain, hire a hosting and have a professional website.
- Advertise your brand to gain greater visibility and target exclusively your ideal customer. Tools like Adwords will help you to advertise on Google, while Facebook, Twitter and Instagram have their own advertising platforms.
For that, I invite you to check my Facebook Ads guide
I recommend that you invest in these two things. At least in the first one because later on you will see the importance of having a professional website aimed at meeting the objectives of your digital strategy.
In any case, I recommend that you hire a professional because since you are investing money, it better be someone who knows how to make it profitable. You also contact me to do this.
On the other hand, if you do not want to drop a single penny, there are also other methods that do not require an initial investment, but it is also true that that way your goals will take longer to be realized or that you will not even be able to fully meet them.
In this case, you have two alternatives to not spend a single penny on your online marketing strategy.
- Create a page on some of the platforms to create websites totally free. Although it may seem like a tempting idea, having a website on these platforms will make you look less professional, in addition to having limited possibilities to make any changes to your website. That without adding that it does not end up being "your website" because it belongs to one of these platforms.
- You don't need to invest in online advertising either, but it is also true that your brand awareness will take time to pay off.
Now is your time to decide how you want your potential customers to see you. As a professional brand or as a brand that is on the internet because they have told you that it has to be.
In both cases, it is your online reputation that is at stake.
7. Get a web page
It is very good to have a presence on social networks, but no matter how much you put your brand name on your profiles, they do not belong to you . They are from Mr Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or any other, but they are not yours.
Or have you not heard the story of someone whose account YouTube has deleted yes? Are you willing to put up with Facebook changing its algorithm and your posts being seen only by a small percentage of your followers?
I don't know about you, but I don't really like that.
That is why your website is the only platform where you have your own control. You are the one who does and undo how much you want and, therefore, it should become one of the most important parts of your online marketing plan. In fact, it should become the center of your digital strategy.
If you don't believe me, let me ask this:
- What happens if a social network decides to delete your account?
- Where do you want your potential customers to find out more about you?
- Where should you take all your traffic from social media?
- What means is the ideal to get the emails of your online community?
- What will be the main medium where you should create this valuable content?
Stop thinking. They all have the same answer: your website.
8. Create a digital strategy for social networks
If you know me personally (you have, right?) You will know that I agree with many Digital Marketing professionals when they state that:
- You just have to be on social networks where your target audience is
- You must take into account the resources you have to maintain your profiles
The first thing is because as I have said before, you have to focus your Online Marketing actions where your ideal client is. It will be useless to make the Instagram stories cooler if your audience has more presence on Linkedin.
And secondly, you have to be aware of whether you have the resources to keep each of them updated . I tell you because it would not be the first time that a company creates profiles in all the social networks there are and then it turns out that they are leaving them aside to the point of forgetting about them.
In addition, to define the social networks where you will have a presence, you must also take into account the objectives that you have proposed at the beginning of your digital strategy.
In this way, each social network fulfills certain functions and each one helps to fulfill different objectives. That is how:
- Facebook: ideal for publishing useful content, getting followers, promoting recommendation marketing and improving your online reputation by having a closer communication with your followers.
- Twitter: useful to publish content from your blog, be aware of all the trends in your sector and have instant communication with your followers.
- Instagram: ideal to present new articles or offers as well as to show the more human side of your brand. It serves to enhance the notoriety of your brand thanks to its synchronization with other social networks.
- Snapchat: very useful to humanize your brand by sharing photos and live videos. Ideal for making exclusive promotions to your followers of this social network.
- Youtube: useful to convey confidence and improve brand image. Very powerful to introduce new products / services and make tutorials.
- WhatsApp: stands out for its speed and ease of use. It is very useful for transmitting closeness and allows you to create groups by interests to achieve greater interaction.
As you can see, each one can help you meet certain of your objectives so choose one / s where your ideal client is and work to keep it updated by creating useful content for your target audience.
9. Create useful content for your potential customers
I have finished the previous section saying that you must create “useful content for your target audience”.
And no, your ideal client does not consider useful content that at all times you advertise your super discount of the year.
Well, if it's a couple of times that's fine, but more than that you should create content that really contributes something to it . Whether through guides, tips, recommendations or even tutorials; any resource you can create and whose sole purpose is to help your ideal client.
Remember that if you want people to buy from you and not from your competition, you must first convey confidence to them and what better way than lending a hand.
Once you start with the creation of that useful information, you will see how little by little they will begin to obtain benefits such as:
- You will get an audience loyal to your brand
- You will improve your corporate image
- You will become a reference
- You will have a greater possibility of generating sales
From now on, it's time to start sharing your content on your different social networks, Facebook groups, Linkedin or Google Plus. Any platform where your brand is and that allows you to share that useful content that you have created.
10. Analyze the results
If there is a fairly common mistake in the Digital Marketing strategy of any company, it is the lack of analysis of the actions they have taken.
I wonder, what is the use of spending so much time thinking about a digital strategy if you are not going to measure its results later? If you don't do that, how are you going to know if what you've done is correct or if you should take other actions?
Once you have done all the steps of your digital strategy, the moment of truth arrives.
That moment when you realize if you have done well, badly or "neither for you nor for me."
To do this, you can look at the following metrics:
- Have I gotten the followers I had in mind?
- Have I had visits to my website?
- Do my followers interact with the content I post?
- Have I gotten clients thanks to my social networks or website?
- Have I managed to get users who enter my website to leave me their email?
- Have I got my followers to leave good opinions of my brand?
Answer these questions and you will know if your digital strategy is really being effective.
If not, I suggest you revisit the previous steps to see where you are failing. Maybe it's because:
- You have not clearly defined your ideal client and what they really need.
- Do not create relevant content that generates interaction from your followers.
- Not much traffic is getting to your website.
- You have not created a strategy to get subscribers.
Keys to creating a successful digital strategy
The above mentioned are the essential steps to create a correct digital strategy, but my friend… there are more things behind that.
Yes I know. It seemed too much to me too when I started in this world. ?
If you really want to have an effective Digital Marketing strategy you must also take into account the following points.
11. Design your Email Marketing strategy
Having a web page that is not oriented to get subscribers is another of the biggest mistakes of any that starts in Online Marketing.
Even those who are today great professionals in the sector overlooked this detail when they started and today they realize that it is something they should have done.
Don't let the same thing happen to you and create an Email Marketing strategy that helps you get subscribers. In this way, the usual steps to get these leads are:
- Create an account on an Email Marketing platform to have your database. Among the best known are Mailchimp, Convertkit and AWeber.
- Design a subscription form and place it strategically on your website. For example, as a widget in your sidebar or at the end of each post. If you also create a resource (aka lead magnet), you will have more chances that the user who has visited your website will become a new subscriber.
- Send your digital newslatter. Once you have subscribers, you have to give them a special treatment than any reader or follower of your social networks because that person has given you something very important: their email. From now on you will be able to inform him of the new contents of your website, and you will be able to send him exclusive content that he will not be able to find anywhere else.
12. Optimize your website for search engine optimization (SEO On Page)
I bet you what you want that when someone searches for one of the products / services that your brand offers on the internet, you want to be the one who appears in the first search results.
Any company wants that but many do not know how to do it correctly and above all they do not know that SEO is a long-term Marketing strategy. FUNFACT:)
Having a website does not mean that you already appear in the first position in Google. Unfortunately it doesn't work like that.
To have a website optimized for SEO you should know that Google takes into account the following elements:
- Keyword: the word for which that page is or post tries to position itself.
- Title: name of your page or post and that appears in search engines.
- URL: the address of the page or post that you have published.
- Meta description : the description of the page and / or post of your website.
- Semantic SEO: the variety of words related to the keyword and that makes your page or post more relevant to search engines.
- Images: the description and name of the images with the keyword also helps to position in Google.
- Internal linking : distribution of the links from one page of your website to another.
In summary, these are the most basic aspects of SEO On Page that affects the positioning of your website in Google.
I don't want to go too deep into this because it seems to me that you already have enough information to assimilate to have to think about SEO.
13. Have a presence in other blogs
It is true that I have told you before that your website must become one of the main pillars of your digital strategy, but if you want to achieve greater visibility on the internet it is time to start moving and appear on other blogs .
If you want to maximize your online visibility, you should write as a guest author on other blogs ( Guest posting ). For this you must take into account the following criteria:
- Write on the blog of an influencer or at least someone who has more visibility and influence than you in your sector.
- Look for websites with themes related to yours . Google values more the links coming from blogs similar to yours.
- Don't always write on the same blog . Mister Google values more that you have links from different pages before many from the same website.
- Add links to your website throughout the post. You will get the readers of the blog where you have written to visit your website.
Now, these are all the factors that you should consider if you want to have a successful digital strategy. I know that it is not something easy to digest, but if you take your time to develop each of the points, I assure you that your online marketing plan will help you have a good online presence and achieve your marketing goals.
So now it's your turn to tell me, have you developed a digital strategy for your brand? Would you add any more points to your marketing plan? What do you think is the most relevant aspect? I'm waiting for you in the comments.
Until the next article! ??